Saturday, June 30, 2012

Find Function Combined with Mid & Left in Excel

In this example I have a list of names in a spread sheet where the first and last name were entered in a single cell. image

I want to separate the names into first & last names For this I used the excel string search functions At the top of each column you can see my approach 

image

Here is the procedure I followed to populate the 3 columns next to the original list of names 

First

I used the FIND function to locate the position of the space in the name string. This information is for reference when crating the sting filters to split the name into Col D & Col E

Using =FIND(" ",B2,2) in Col C  it told retunes the let to right character position of the space in each name listed in Col B.

image 

Next

In Col D the =Left function gets the Colum B name characters up to the space

(=LEFT(B5,C5)  on row(5) where B holds the Name and C holds the Space Position

image

 

Last

In Col E I =Mid function returns Colum B name characters after the space '

(=LEFT(B5,C5)

image

No comments:

Post a Comment